Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chapter 14: Politics

Sometimes I think, thanks to categorization to simplify the understanding of knowledge, we are oversimplifying and misunderstanding things. (Yes, it helps our understanding to a certain extend; maybe it helps us to understand half the truth, but 50% is mediocre.)
Labeling and categorizing things makes us see knowledge and matters as discrete - science, economics, philosophy, politics, you, me, her, they, etc.

I think, the other half of the truth lies in the context, the relatives, or the interconnections.
“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”
East is only east because of west - to the west of it.

Since people often ask me why I am "involved in Politics", I will hereby explain and examine this matter.
Can we actually say "I don't care about Politics?"
Yes, you can; but that would be impossible. (Since, everything affects & is interconnected to one another. Politics, moreso.) Unless, you sincerely do not care about the hole in the roads, your Education, your safety, your life, your money (lost to corruption), your family's well being/life, or you've achieved such a Zen state that nothing can ever bug or affect you. In that case, I'll have to either pay my highest respect to you, or stop to wonder what has become of you?






  • Hey there. U r quite the activist arent u?
     ·  · November 7, 2011 at 6:20pm · 





    • 2 people like this.

      • Vienna Looi 
        Sorry, this will be a rather extensive thoughts sharing of mine. Your words made me think :)


        First of all, it's sad how the 1971 Akta Universiti dan Kolej Universiti (AUKU) has made activism become something out of the norm in Malaysian students. It's as if the 'norm-al' & cool thing to do is to not care.
        In the 1960s, this was how Malaysian students were like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpIq3NAP-U (In First week of school/orientation, they were taught to demonstrate, involve politically)
        When I was in Washington DC, you see old man/students demonstrating on the streets every day (we're not even mentioning the French or Danish), volunteering actively, establishing clubs in universities for causes like Palestine & Myanmar human rights violation, selling bands for orphans in South America, events for Africa, woman in Mali http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=191517987594104 (my Japanese friend's event) every week, they volunteer & campaign for the Mayor's election from door-to-door, etc.

        What happened to Malaysian students?

        We're already ranked the #1 most submissive, apathetic, and passive people in challenging unjust authority people in the world.
        http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert-hofstede-cultural-dimensions/power-distance-index/ (*verifying the research methodology)

        Things can get worst. We inherited the problems we have today due to the inaction of past generation in standing up for what's right.
        For all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
        But wrongs can be right. Just as my friend in the UKM4 who challenged the Government of Malaysia in court recently. They won; the court declared that AUKU was unconstitutional.

        Re: activist, I think everyone's equally active; they differ only in their intention & direction. Some actively pursue personal pleasures & entertainment, some chose to sacrifice some of that fb-ing time to actively help themselves and others in the society.

        I merely want to stand up for my values & to care for others. I think the way to happiness is through giving, not owning.
        When I give help, I feel happy :)

        A final thought on activism:
        I don't agree with the common connotations of activism: violent, rebel/adrenaline sake & mindlessness.
        Even I personally conjure such image, so I don't associate much with the term "activist".
        I'm for: calm wisdom, personal principles, thoughtful disobedience against whats wrong, and compassion - for those you wish to help or those you're against.
        Protest are means (sadly,often only this gets noticed/ppl stop here) that lead to solutions.


        www.youtube.com
        Ops Bilang* was an artistic response to 12 contentious issues explored in a newl...See More

        November 11, 2011 at 1:51pm ·  ·  2

      • Vienna Looi Now, some solutions & Time to give:
        1) Check out event for Thailand Flood that I invited u to:
        http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=179317708821722 (Help if you're free, Sat 2moro 10am, Sunday 12pm on KL Streets)
        2) Also happening in conjunction with 2moro 10am:
        http://www.facebook.com/UndiMsia Joo Yong Elly Leong Kevin KwanAmylia Kesha Bal Vincent Lee KaiShang Yew



        Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 8:00pm

        November 11, 2011 at 1:53pm ·  ·  1

      • Friend You are absolutely right. This is a really extensive sharing of thoughts. Good to know there's people out there like you.
        November 11, 2011 at 3:15pm · 


  • A note on ignorance: I think it is a mistake to jump to quick labeling, judging, categorizing, and conclusion. Of course, realistically, it's not possible to stop your mind from judging (although it may be possible with some training). But negative connotations and perception of matters before truly experiencing it, is ignorance - on yours and my part.

    Does that explain why I'm often so curious and keen on experiencing everything at least once in life! :D




    Perhaps, I shall officially call for a Revolution of the Mind.
    :) I shall mull over how to develop this idea.







    (......) At times, I really wished I can be just like you guys. Have fun, be apolitical, have my peaceful moments/holidays on the beach, watch some shows, and not have a care about all these. After all, I'm only 21.
    Do you think I like politics? I dislike the word "politics" as much as you do. I don't want to have anything to do with it.
    But at the same time I realize, unless I'm coldhearted, I simply cannot ignore the effect & harm of bad politics/governance has on others life. (I decided to put my ego/personal desire aside, how my friends will view me, how my parents disapproved, and get involve in something I don't like to "be the change I want to see in Malaysia").
    Politics is inseparable from everyday life.
    Think about the effects of politics on education: our public universities, curriculum (sejarah), teachers selection, etc.
    Most of us - with internet - are in Band 1 or 2 schools in Malaysia, can you imagine Band 7 (lowest ranking) schools?
    Have you thought of Sabahans (most no. of Band 7 schools) who came to KL to find jobs, only to be cheated (with little education), had no money to return home, and became homeless in the streets? [True story]
    Have you thought of the RM1.08 trillion lost to corruption (http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/malaysia-rises-in-illegal-money-chart-rm150b-lost-in-2009/)
    How it could have helped education here (enough to provide free education worth RM38571/Malaysiaan)? The homeless? The estate workers? The orang asli (~30% of Sabah,Sarawak still does not have clean water, electricity, phone coverage. Worse now, the new PA Bill will make almost impossible these orang asli to gather to demand for clean water or electricity.
    One-third (33.4%) of families in Malaysia still live with less than RM2000.
    http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/how-poor-are-we-really

    Just because we chose to spend our time on personal pleasures, does not mean these people I mentioned does not exist.

    Yet here we are, arguing over words that belong neither to any of us.
    (Remember the Allah-god issue?)

    Some commented below that cosplay have managed to survive in Malaysia because it has kept politics out.
    Have you questioned, is there something very wrong there?

    I hope to defend your right to gather and cosplay too. (However, under the Peaceful Assembly Bill, if your cosplaying assembly has under-21 years old, it is illegal under the law. Do you want me to wish you "Good Luck with your illegal assembly?")
    There are other ways you really might lose your right to cosplay; lets say, suddenly some sensitive issue happens, the 'islamists' in the government decided to play "religious authority" power card & decide that cosplay costumes are not 'decent' attire, they can easily announce your assembly as 'illegal' and ban it in the future.

    I see all of you in me. (I'm only going to sleep now - after 5 hours of managing both sides, private messages, etc. Hopefully I'll wake up in time to prepare for our gathering 2mr & with some time to study for exams.)
    I hope you see yourselves in us too.
    I know you guys don't want to be associated with us to stay out of trouble. We can certainly appear non-associated with you guys - although fact is we are trying to help you - for your benefit.
    Regardless, we will still defend your opportunity to assemble and cosplay in the future.
    :)

    With ♥,
    Vien.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment