Thursday, December 23, 2010

A life lesson on keeping your virtues to yourself.

I have been frequenting the Washington Buddhist Vihara a lot of late. I decided that I need a break from my heedless academic pursuits to meditate upon the reasons of me being in DC, and evaluate upon what I have achieved so far in line with my goals in life. In the Vihara, I did some silent meditation and yoga. But what I'd really what to convey through this post is a beautiful story and teaching I've returned with yesterday. I thought I'd share this story that I learned out of a chat with Bhante Dhammasiri (the chief monk).

Our discussion stemmed from the History Channel documentary on Buddhism & Science (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-wuOYlxMSY) that I came across. In the documentary, monks were exhibiting extraordinary capabilities (such as steaming an icy cold towel using the power of their mind & meditation). And I also brought up an inquiry upon my friends' experience of being asked to pay to visit certain Buddhist temples in DC. This of which I didn't view as a righteous practice if one understands the Dhamma (Buddhist teaching).

Although I'd have great respect for those who have trained their mind through meditations to be able to achieve such capabilities, I believe that these are just side effects which should come along with their practice but should not be the main focus. Bhante then expressed his consensus by making a joke about dying as a "steaming monk". :) This is of course not a very successful achievement; I believe beyond every practices and prescription (whether if its Buddhists' dhamma, Christian, Islamic or Jewish doctrines), we should strive to understand why such prescription or practice. Don't follow 'the way' blindly, there is only so far as 'the leaded or prescribed way' will bring you to. Train yourself along the way to understand why you are taking 'the way', because that distinguishes you with a 'leaded herd'. To be enlightened means to understand & undertake 'the way', not to follow 'the way' like a herd. The leaded road can come to an end, but to be enlightened means you should be able to continue from there onwards.

Then I was bringing up my worries about the practices of paying for temple visits. (If I had to die one day, I shall choose to die with a smile and an unending qualms with capitalism. Although I understand that it may be vital for human sustenance, capitalism is just too shallow, artificial, and self-interested for my liking. I apologize for my convictions :) if it might offend.)

He then shared this story. (Please attempt read it beyond the literal story telling)

One day, Buddha with his disciples were trying to cross a river. They were waiting patiently for the boatmen to take them across the river one by one. In the mean time, an achieved meditator just simply walked on the water to the other side of the river. So, a few of Buddha's yet to be enlightened disciples enquired why didn't the Buddha simply do the same too (if he have the capability to)?

Buddha simply asked them, "how much does it cost to pay the boatmen for a trip across the river?" This of which, his disciples answered, "A penny." "So, what do you think I should do with my capabilities?" Buddha replied.

I personally took this as a story to stay humble. Even if you have extraordinary capabilities or have performed virtuous deeds, keep it to yourself.
For the two elements which know no boundaries - kindness and knowledge - keep an empty cup. Let us not assume a filled cup on how much goodness we have did, nor how much knowledge we have gained through out the years, for we can only fill our cups - learn and do so much more - when we assume an empty cup.

Assume an empty cup, strive for depth in your cup; but never use what you have in your cup to undermine (or compare to) others. Instead, use it to bolster others.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vienna, I totally agreed that you took this story taught us to stay humble. It's always good to stay humble so we can learn, but I don't really agree the way the story concluding.

    Hmm... I see another side of the story, if we think that the achieved meditator is trying to "show off", so is the Buddha right? How dare he value his capabilities with $$?? means what? he may consider to show his capability if the value of $$ is 1000 times more than a penny?

    So, I am wondering, would it be better if the story goes like this, Buddha ask them, "what do you think I should do with my capability?" Full stop. Let them think, discuss and conclude. Than only the Buddha tell them to stay humble even...

    This is the way to train people to think, to develop their own capability in order to build a better world. Isn't this is the message that Buddha should deliver?

    No offend please, I am a free thinker. But I'd like to find out the truth, the meaning and the reason we're here, on this earth. And too many of them destructing their own earth... Sad thing isn't?

    How to build a better world? So our next generation has a better future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steven! :)

    Haven't talk to you for awhile. Haha, I believe that the "so you are asking me to show my capabilities to the world - for a penny" was my reasoning - what I took away from it - when the monk told me that the Buddha disagreed. These were my words, not really the literal story :) so my memory might play tricks and my personal interpretations are diffused with it.

    No problem at all. Why would I be offended? I don't worship Buddha (he said, "the way is not at my fingers, but the direction where my fingers are pointing"); but I will revere to his teachings if I find it to be true and beneficial to me and those around me :)

    Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate that. I changed it to be less of my own interpretation but more of an open ended question for everyone.

    ReplyDelete