Sunday, November 1, 2009

What's the intrigue - to read books and watch documentaries - all about?

I suddenly felt the urge and intrigue to read more.

A habit that I never had; perhaps, its because of the way I was brought up.

Well, my parents have never really went against or encouraged anything, that of which includes my studies and my leisure activities.
1) During my 10 years of schooling, my mom came once or twice for the report card. My dad - none. (or once?)
2) Whenever I'm found studying for exams, my dad would ask me to go to sleep instead. He often says, "If tomorrow's exam is a battlefield, you should preserve your 'bullets' for tomorrow instead of wasting it off now, now go to sleep!"
3) "Studies are not everything in life..." He went on with his life philosophies, examples etc.
4) "You can go anywhere or come back anytime you want, just give us a call." I never had curfews.
5) I used to see my parents twice a week.

They are busy with their works, I well understand that. So, instead of drilling over their scarce attention, I turned to the positive side of things. I used the freedom and trust they bestowed upon me wisely. :)
Haha I certainly hope I was a good role model/sister x)


Back to the books, actually I have never fully read a single book beyond the "interesting" textbooks in schools. I wonder how'd I learned how to write? Well, for that fact, I conclude that I must be naturally talented! Hahahaha! ;D

Anyway, I have a knack for watching documentaries and reading what I deem as essential to the understanding of humanity of late. I like understanding things and the world around me.

Oh I also want to learn languages like Tamil (to understand Indian's culture) and Arab (to understand the Koran). I felt like languages are the keys to understanding people.

So many things to do, so much knowledge, so little hours!

As for now, I have to sleep and prepare for Malaysiakini's assignment tomorrow. I'll be producing a short documentary about Malaysia's Judiciary. Haha lets hope I do good. :)
Oh btw, today we did some reporting in front of the camera, I did it in one take ;)

List of books on my watchlist:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/204300
http://meteorplum.blogspot.com/2009/02/100-most-important-books-to-read-before.html
http://artofmanliness.com/2008/05/14/100-must-read-books-the-essential-mans-library/



No comments:

Post a Comment